Monday, August 11, 2008

Freaky Fruit Vol 2: Rambutans


I would like to thank the gringos for the enthusiasm and suggestions on this part of the blog. On to my new friend the Rambutan...
"Exotic fruit of Southeast Asia: The rambutan, Nephelium lappaceum, is a fruit considered exotic to people outside of its native range. To people of Malaysia, Thailand, the Phillippines (...ahem, Justin), Vietnam, Borneo, and other countries of this region, the rambutan is a relatively common fruit the same way an apple is common to many people in cooler climates. This may change for the rambutan over time as availability and distribution improve." - Rambutan.com
It may look like the balls of a flaming Martian baboon, but the Rambutan is a study in fruity subtlety. If Liz Ewing were here, she would know how to describe what it tastes like, but I'm at a loss. Its delicate, a little melony and plummy, with aromatic tones kind of like a Riesling, but very very light in flavor. I'm a big, big fan.

Side note: Long Xuyen, where I am working is the capital of an agricultural province, and I live right near the market. Unfortunately, I cant pronounce a word of Vietnamese. When I went to the market, I pointed and held up five fingers. The Rambutan lady held up 18. I thought, "well thats a little extortionate, but its only a dollar" But then she filled a bag with half a kilo (or about 50 fruit), and gave me 3000 dong change for my 20.

Good thing they're tasty!

No comments: